Midley was once a small island in the Rother between Romney and Lydd, and the name means "middle island". In the 8th century there was a village on this site which suffered very badly from the Black Death plague in 1346-53, this almost certainly led to the demise of the village. In 1801 just 23 people still lived here. Now, only the ruined west wall of the church remains.
Image dimensions: 7500 x 4220 pixels